English Homework Week 1
English Home school lessons 1st June 2020
This week there are two lessons to choose from. The first lesson is about forming letters and the second lesson is about adjectives or describing words. Choose the lessons that you best suits you.
Lesson 1 – One armed robot letters.
Watch the short video by following this link to find out about one-armed robot letters.
Whilst watching the video, try forming each letter in the air.
One-armed robot letters are: b, h, k, m, n, p and r.
They always start by going straight down, up and over. Most of these letters have a curve, except for the letter k.
Practise – Have a go at forming the letters using the worksheet called “letter formation activity”
Activity: Hunting for one-armed robot letters
Take a piece of paper draw seven big boxes.
- At the top of each box, write a different one-armed robot letter.
- Go on a hunt around your house or garden and see how many items you can spot that start with each letter.
- Write each item down in the boxes as you go.
- Once you've finished you can decorate each box with drawings of some of the items.
Lesson 2 - Describing words
Describing words are also known as adjectives.
Describing words are words that describe something.
It was a terrible book.
The word 'terrible' is an adjective because it tells us what the book (the noun or thing) was like.
Use the link above to watch a video about adjectives and have a go at the activities on the page.
Activity: Let's make a poster
Imagine you're making a poster for a missing monster.
- First decide what your monster looks like.
- Then draw a picture of your monster.
- Add labels to the different parts of the monster to describe its features.
- Try and include at least three labels on your monster and see if you can use multiple describing words together.
Here are some examples:
Six bright, blue, shiny eyes.
Three spotty, green legs.